This is an exciting opportunity for a newly qualified professional or an individual with relevant experience who is wishing to develop and grow their career within a fast paced and market leading Travel Law Department.
The successful candidate will need to have;
- Strong interpersonal and practical skills.
- An ability to absorb information quickly whilst grasping and understanding difficult concepts.
- Be highly motivated and be able to work independently.
- Have a strong attention to detail.
Previous experience working within the Travel law sector is not essential as on-going training and education will be given.
The role will initially be to provide support to experienced Travel Lawyers by assisting on a large and varying caseload, comprising predominantly of holiday illness personal injury claims as well accidents that occur abroad.
The successful candidate will be expected to achieve financial targets, both in respect of fee income and recording chargeable hours and to contribute towards the success of the department as determined by reference to the Department’s business plan.
Once the successfully candidate has had sufficient training and an adequate period of exposure to Travel cases there will be the opportunity for progression and for them to establish their own cohort of cases.
The role will include but is not limited to the responsibilities below;
- To assist senior fee-earners to progress cases.
- To maintain high personal and professional standards in the conduct of all work and maintain the highest level of professional standards and client care at all times.
- Promote and actively participate in marketing activities and initiatives within the Travel Department and firm generally.
- To liaise directly with clients and third parties.
- To build and maintain strong professional working relationships with external institutions and organisations.
- To work competently and compliantly with a case management system, databases and office IT systems.
- To undertake other duties essential to the operation of the Travel Law Department as and when directed.
- To prioritise and manage the efficient and prompt progression of cases.
- To adhere to the professional Code of Conduct and comply with the firm’s internal policies, best practices and procedures as updated from time to time.
- To comply with all applicable legislation relevant to the legal profession and to all relevant quality standards.
- Through training keep fully up to date with relevant legislation and best practice.
- Ensure the confidentiality and security of all firm-wide and client documentation and that information is protected at all times.
- A commitment to equal opportunities and diversity.
- An ability to prioritise work when necessary.
Key KPI’s (Smart Objectives)
- To achieve set targets within the role, to include but not limited to financial performance targets and time recording targets.
- To consistently produce work to a high standard.
- Ability to prioritise workload and meet strict deadlines
- Report to the Head of Department / Team Leader.
- Daily contact with Travel team colleagues.
- Contact with other colleagues across departments and service areas.
- Contact with external and internal stakeholders.
Experience / Knowledge / Qualifications
- A competent knowledge of Personal Injury Law and Civil Procedure, including procedural and practical skills.
- 5 GCSE (to include Maths & English) or equivalent.
- Strong interpersonal and practical skills including demonstrable negotiation skills.
- A degree or ILEX or equivalent but this is not essential.
- A fee-earning track record with proven results and evidence of hitting financial targets would be desirable but is not essential.
- Strong IT Skills with the ability to work with a Case Management System, databases and normal office IP systems.
- Experience of working with the general public and ability to demonstrate a sensitive and cooperative approach to clients.