Working hours:37.5 Hours
Salary:Up to £18,000 Depending on Experience Hours
To undertake fee-earning and paralegal support. You will be expected to assist 3 partners manage varied caseloads of primarily EL claims with some ID and PL matters from inception through to conclusion. The claims will vary in complexity and value and will include both litigation and non-litigated matters.
- Assisting Partners within the department managing varied caseloads of EL/PL/ID cases.
- Submission of CNFs and working with the Claims Portal.
- To maintain a diary and bring up entries in accordance with the firms procedures.
- Interviewing and making telephone calls to clients and witnesses both on new and existing cases.
- Drafting witness statements and schedule of loss.
- Drafting letters and emails to defendants, experts, witnesses, courts etc.
- Attending clinics and other meetings with clients.
- Dealing with telephone CMCs.
- Preparing trial bundles and trial preparation.
- Attending court and conferences with counsel.
- Liaising with external bodies such as Courts, etc.
- To contribute towards the development of the Department and Firm. To include preparation of articles for external newsletter and attendance marketing and social events. To identify and pursue your own marketing initiatives and those agreed upon with your supervisor.
- Compliance within SRA and other regulatory frameworks, including but not limited to Money Laundering Procedures and the Data Protection Act.
- Maintains and develops communication between other fee earners, staff and representatives from own function/division and wider Simpson Millar group.
- To work with a case management system, databases and normal office IT systems.
- Knowledge and compliance with pre action protocol and CPR.
- Selection and instruction of experts in relation to breach, causation and condition and prognosis reports.
- Collation of data for compliance with referrer reporting requirements
- Preparation of disclosure lists, DQs, PTCs and other procedural documents.
- Considering medical notes, other disclosure and analysing complex data and reports.
Key KPI’s (Smart Objectives) plus SRA Core Competencies for role
- To consistently achieve set targets within the role such as billing targets and time recording targets.
- When carrying out a paralegal task be able to demonstrate a good understanding of the task by producing work to an excellent standard.
- Produce work which is consistently to an accurate and reliable standard.
- Ability to prioritise workload.
- Ability to stick to deadlines.
- Understanding of and empathy with the trade union movement would be an advantage.