To undertake fee-earning and paralegal support. You will be expected to manage a caseload of low value clinical negligence claims up to a value of £25,000, under the Solicitors supervision and training. You will also be providing assistance to Solicitors on Clinical Negligence claims with a range of damages between £25,000 and in excess of £1,000,000.
- Assisting Solicitor a managing a caseload of high value clinical negligence cases
- Handling a small caseload of smaller value MT cases
- To maintain a diary and bring up entries in accordance with the firms procedures.
- Interviewing and making telephone calls to clients and witnesses both on new and existing cases
- Drafting witness statements and other file notes
- Drafting letters and emails to defendants, experts, witnesses, courts etc
- Attending clinics and other meetings with clients
- Dealing with telephone CMCs
- Preparing trial bundles and trial preparation
- Attending court and conferences with counsel
- Liaising with external bodies such as Courts, etc.
- To contribute towards the development of the Department and Firm. To include preparation of articles for external newsletter and attendance marketing and social events. To identify and pursue your own marketing initiatives and those agreed upon with your supervisor
- Compliance within SRA and other regulatory frameworks including but not limited to Money Laundering Procedures and the Data Protection Act
- Maintains and develops communication between other fee earners, staff and representatives from own function/division and wider Simpson Millar group
- To work with a case management system, databases and normal office IT systems
- Knowledge and compliance with pre action protocol and CPR
- Preparing and drafting letters of notification and letters of claim and acting upon letters of response.
- Selection and instruction of experts in relation to breach, causation and condition and prognosis reports.
- Preparation of disclosure lists
- Considering medical notes and analysing complex data and reports.
- Preparation and drafting of schedules of loss.
Key KPI’s (Smart Objectives) plus SRA Core Competencies for role
- To consistently achieve set targets within the role such as billing targets and time recording targets.
- When carrying out a paralegal task be able to demonstrate a good understanding of the task by producing work to an excellent standard.
- Produce work which is consistently to an accurate and reliable standard
- Develop good working relationship with the Clinical Negligence Team.
- Develop good working relationship with the other Paralegal and Service teams within the organisation.
- Ability to prioritise workload.
- Ability to stick to deadlines